Monday, February 15, 2010

"Love is the only shocking act on the planet."

"Valentine's Day is the day when your love life is put on display", as quoted from the movie Valentine's Day. In my opinion that movie was great. It captured all aspects of love. Both the benefits and consequences. What causes the beauty of it and what causes the disasters. What stuck with me the most from this movie is how much the meaning of love changed between generations and also how naive young love can be.

These are two trailers of Valentine's Day so you can get an understanding of what I'm talking about. That's if you haven't seen the movie or any of the trailers:






When you're a teenager there are a lot of stressful things that go through your mind and the big "L" word is one of them. Most teenagers don't really understand love or how to express it. I believe everyone has their own meaning of love. A lot of teenagers think that to really be in love is to have sex with that other person. In the movie the character played by Emma Roberts believed that having sex would create a bond between her and her boyfriend so that when they go to collage they wouldn't break up. What do you think about this? I think just being in love is the bond that keeps you and your partner together. Sex is nothing but another expression of it, just like kissing. There is just more consequences to it.
Her character also says "It's not like I'm guna sleep with one person for the rest of my life right? I mean, who does that?" and Hector Elizondo's character says "Crazy people like us." Also in the movie he says that times have changed and love is different. I guess back in his days love and sex were intertwined. Love used to be strong and unbreakable so having sex with one person wasn't "crazy". Nowadays sex and love are two similar but very different things. You can have sex without love and love without sex. One doesn't complete the other. Maybe what changed is that these days it is openly permissible to be promiscuous. How do you feel about this change? I kinda like the idea that sex is something special for only the person you love.
The Taylors' parts also stuck out to me(Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner). Their characters are basically the stereotypical high school couple. All goo-goo gaa-gaa over each other and very public about their relationship. As the reporter in the movie says, they represent "young love. Full of promise. Full of hope. Ignorance and reality." Their characters are an extreme example of how naive young love can be. There are actually young people who believe they're in love after two weeks of being in a relationship. (This also goes along with how people have different opinions on what love is.) Some people call it "puppy love". What do you think about love?
I talked about it with one of my friends and we came to the conclusion that love has different sizes. You know how in friendship you can have acquaintances, friends, and best friends? Well love is like that. You can have little love, medium love or big, deep, passionate love. And it's not just narrowed down to three sizes. I believe there is an infinite amount of sizes. Love is unique for each person. Your size is your love. <3

P.S. Jenny, I like Taylor Swift's character. It was funny and dumb and she played it well. She didn't dumb herself down she just played a really good cute dumb character. xD

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree and I believe today's generation has almost completely forgotten about the roots of sex. I think the media takes a huge part in that, showing movies with people having sex with many different people like it's no problem at all, eventually makes people believe it's okay. It's not, the more this happens the greater the risk of STD's being spread and love's meaning being degraded. Of course it's one's decision but if sex is needed to save the love then that's not love at all. Love is the savior of everything else.

    I saw Valentine's Day yesterday and I loved it. It captured love from every angle and perspective. Right after watching that I saw Dear John, another movie I loved. I agree that there are different kinds of love, John and Savannah had love that spurred so fast and lasted forever, while Jennifer Garner and Ashton Kutcher's characters had the kind of love that started as best friends and ended in a realization of each other's significance. Either way, love is international and doesn't have to be physical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. DAM I wasnt the first to comment! But any way, Yeah that is the last time I give you an idea about what to write about. I think what you said about love was well said. Love is a crazy thing and it does get confusing most of the time. But we still got to remeber that this movie is just a movie. I guess sometimes we live life like a movie. Or do movies Just portray how we live life? Oh by the way, It was awesome going to see it with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To start i want to see this movie really badly! I think todays generation has taking the word love and changed the idea. I dont believe you have to have sex with the person you love to build a bong with them. Get to know someone learn about how they feel what they have been through and what they want to achieve in life. If the person you love just thinks relationships are about sex than you dont need to be with them. I agree with faina when she said the media has something to do with the way people petray love. I just think when you love someone and they love you back theres no need to rush into sex

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made me cringe when I read, "I guess back in his days love and sex were intertwined. Love used to be strong and unbreakable so having sex with one person wasn't "crazy". Nowadays sex and love are two similar but very different things. You can have sex without love and love without sex. One doesn't complete the other. Maybe what changed is that these days it is openly permissible to be promiscuous."

    Love and sex still can be intertwined. It is up to you, and how you interpret how, when and with whom you share your body.

    Your body is the only thing in the world you have complete ownership over. Take pride.

    3/4

    ReplyDelete